During the holiday season I sometimes feel completely overwhelmed by sweets (and I’m a sweets fanatic!). I enjoy throwing a bit of a curve ball into the mix, incorporating a bit of spice into my sweets. I came up this recipe for chocolate chai swirl muffins, to hopefully breakup the constant sweets, with a muffin that is a little bit sweet and a pop of spicy.
1 C almond meal
1/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 C Chai tea spices
1/4 C coconut sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 C unsweetened, all natural apple sauce
1/2 C maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixer, mix the almond flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, and cinnamon until smooth.
- Then, add in the vanilla extract, eggs, apple sauce and maple syrup until everything is well combined.
- Separate the batter in half into two bowls.
- In one bowl, fold in the 1/4 C of chai spices.
- In the original bowl with the second half of the batter, fold in the unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Pour into the muffin tin either layer the batters or pour one into the bottom of each muffin and swirl the other flavor on top.
- Then bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and enjoy!