One food I found particularly difficult to give up when I began my journey on a paleo diet was pizza. I didn’t grow up eating much of it, but while living in New York I developed a love for thin crust pizza. In an effort to fill my pizza craving, one Saturday I played around with a pizza crust recipe and I think this crispy substitute will fill your craving too.
1 C Arrowroot Flour
1/3 C Coconut Flour
1/2 C Olive Oil
1/2 C Warm Water
1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment add the arrowroot flour, coconut flour and salt and start the mixer on low.
- Slowly add in the olive oil and water and mix until everything is fully incorporated and the mixture is a sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured board and roll out until dough is about a 1/4 inch tall.
- Place on a parchment covered cookie sheet (or pizza stone if you have one) and place in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove crust from oven and layer on your favorite pizza toppings!
For this pizza I put a thin layer of tomato sauce, sliced fresh mozzarella cheese and prosciutto and put back in the oven for 5-7 minutes until the cheese started to melt. Then I sliced some fresh basil and sprinkled on top.